Glenglassaugh Distillery stands at the east end of Sandend bay approximately two miles to the west of Portsoy. It was here on the banks of the Glassaugh burn and in an area known to have been previously favoured by illicit distillers that local entrepreneur and businessman James Moir built the distillery in 1875.
He quickly established a reputation for making a quality whisky and the company prospered. Following the death of James Moir the ownership passed to his two nephews who set about increasing production as the quality of the whisky became well known. However following the unexpected death of one of the nephews in 1892, the distillery was sold to Robertson & Baxter who had been a long standing customer. Robertson and Baxter immediately sold the distillery to the Highland Distilleries Company.
The distillery gained a growing reputation for producing high quality malt whisky and output grew but following a downturn in the industry the distillery was closed in 1907.
In 2007 a group of investors, who were also whisky enthusiasts, were looking for a whisky distillery with heritage and one that produced top quality single malt scotch whisky. Their trail led them to Glenglassaugh and soon after a deal was done to purchase the distillery.
On the 29th February 2008 the keys were officially handed over to the newly formed “Glenglassaugh Distillery Company Limited” and a new chapter for this illustrious distillery began.
There then followed several months of refurbishing the distillery, replacing pipes, pumps and heat exchangers, installing a new boiler and steam heating system and erecting a new chimney and replacing all the electrical system. Thankfully the important process equipment, the mash-tun, the washbacks and the stills were all in working order and were ready to be re-started.
On the 28th November 2008 Scotland’s First Minister, Alex Salmond, started the malt mill for the first mash at Glenglassaugh Distillery in 22 years. The first mash followed a few days later and the first new spirit ran from the stills on 4th December 2008 and was subsequently filled into cask on the 16th December 2008.