Founded in 1824, The Macallan was one of the first distilleries in Scotland to be legally licensed. Since then, The Macallan has built a reputation as one of the world's truly great single malt whiskies.
The Six Pillars are the foundation stones for the fame and character of The Macallan. They encompass the strong sense of place at the heart of the distillery and the estate, together with our long experience of distilling and maturing a single malt whisky with a reputation for product excellence and distinctive character. These, in combination, contribute to the essential character of The Macallan -
• Spiritual Home; Easter Elchies House, built in 1700, lies at the heart of The Macallan estate
• Curiously Small Stills; contribute to the distinctively rich, fruity ‘new make’ spirit of The Macallan
• Finest Cut; we take only 16% of the final distillation from the spirit stills to fill into our oak casks. This is the best of the best
• Exceptional Oak Casks; The Macallan spends more on sourcing, building, seasoning and caring for its casks than any other single malt whisky
• Natural Colour; the rich range of colours in The Macallan whiskies is drawn only from the wood of our exceptional oak casks
• The Macallan itself; the peerless spirit - one of the world’s greatest whiskies